I’m to be giving my friend a lesson in knitting on Wednesday where she’ll have to decide how she wants to be taught. There are, to the best of my knowledge, three choices:
- Continental style: working yarn is held in the left hand and “picked”. This is the natural style for those with experience crocheting, but is otherwise a bit of a learning curve for right-handed people. The advantage with it is that there are plenty of online videos, books, and people available for guidance and assistance. No one ever questions a continental knitter.
- English style: working yarn is held in the right hand, where it ideally should be “thrown” with little movement, but in beginning knitters usually involves an outsized arm motion that can quickly lead to an RSI. Advantages: again plenty of tutorials and people who can help; disadvantage: all the snooty continental knitters will tell you that you’re doing it wrong.
- Portuguese style: this is how I knit, having switched over from English a bit over a year ago. It’s incredibly easy, particularly for purling, and requires only the tiniest flick of the thumb to complete a stitch. The disadvantages are, unfortunately, pretty numerous: except for a few tutorials/videos specifically about Portuguese style knitting, there is a complete lack of instructional material out there, so if you want to learn a new stitch, you’ll have to figure it out on your own (easy enough at the journeyman level but harder for a beginner); if you run the yarn behind your neck, then it can be rough to knit if it’s hot out because you’ll sweat and the yarn will catch; everyone will gawk at you and the continental knitters will still tell you that you’re doing it wrong.
"Hey dad, did you wash your hands?"
"What? Oh. They’re clean. I washed them before."
"You never worked in a restaurant, did you? Always wash your hands. Wash them before touching food, prep surfaces, reaching into drawers to get out utensils…other people have to use those things too, right?"
"That makes sense."
Washes hands; opens refrigerator; scratches head; gets out food.
Respect Markdown or don’t try to support it. I couldn’t use any heading but H1 for it to show on my blog, but I see that isn’t even styled right on the desktop dashboard.
Nice job, jerkoffs.
A few weeks ago
Me: So dad, in a couple weeks you can just come back here to ship your radio.
Dad: Alright. I’ll do that on Monday.
Me: No rush. Why don’t you do it a couple of days before I come back to get you.
Dad: Okay. I’ll do it on Tuesday.
Me: Really, there’s no rush.
Me: So you just come back here to the UPS store that’s one town over and they’ll get it packed up for you and ship it.
Dad: I didn’t have to go all the way to Brookfield. There was one right in town.
Me: Okay. I mean, it was only a couple of extra miles, but good for you, finding that closer UPS store.
Me: Hey…do you have receipt from when you shipped your radio? I’m surprised it’s not here yet and I want to get the tracking number.
Dad: It’s on the counter.
Me: This hand-written receipt from an independent store with no indication of how or if it’s being shipped or sold on the black market?
I lost the love battle!
I had it till the very last round, too.
Today they will begin to try to take him off heart-lung bypass (ECMO) to see if his surgically altered heart can work. It is a very important day.
TEAM RILEY ALL THE WAY!!!!
The birdeater’s enormous size is evident from the sounds it makes. “Its feet have hardened tips and claws that produce a very distinct, clicking sound, not unlike that of a horse’s hooves hitting the ground,” he wrote, but “not as loud.”
Oh fuck that
Well, this global warming thing sucks, I’ll admit, but it’s going to get a whole fuck of a lot worse now that I have to burn the entire fucking rainforest to the fucking ground! Burn it! Burn it! Burn it!
Steve Rogers did, in fact, realize that something was off when he saw the outline of the woman’s odd bra (a push-up bra, he would later learn), but being an officer and a gentleman, he said that it was the game that gave the future away.
#EXCUSE ME MA’AM BUT YOUR TITTIES ARE NOT CONES I’M CALLING BULLSHIT (via)
No, see, this scene is just amazing. The costume department deserves so many kudos for this, it’s unreal, especially given the fact that they pulled off Peggy pretty much flawlessly.
1) Her hair is completely wrong for the 40’s. No professional/working woman would have her hair loose like that. Since they’re trying to pass this off as a military hospital, Steve would know that she would at least have her hair carefully pulled back, if maybe not in the elaborate coiffures that would have been popular.
2) Her tie? Too wide, too long. That’s a man’s tie, not a woman’s. They did, however, get the knot correct as far as I can see - that looks like a Windsor.
3) That. Bra. There is so much clashing between that bra and what Steve would expect (remember, he worked with a bunch of women for a long time) that it has to be intentional. She’s wearing a foam cup, which would have been unheard of back then. It’s also an exceptionally old or ill-fitting bra - why else can you see the tops of the cups? No woman would have been caught dead with misbehaving lingerie like that back then, and the soft satin cups of 40’s lingerie made it nearly impossible anyway. Her breasts are also sitting at a much lower angle than would be acceptable in the 40’s.
Look at his eyes. He knows by the time he gets to her hair that something is very, very wrong.
i’ve reblogged this before but this one has further breakdown of exactly why, and i love it. (also hell yes, kudos to the costume department for this; it’s wrong, but it’s so clearly DELIBERATELY wrong considering how well they nailed it during the 40s sequences).
That was actually the first thing I noticed: that she was dressed in a bad version of what someone thought a WAC would have worn. And no, Steve is not checking her out in any sort of sexual sense. He’s already on guard because of the baseball game, and seeing this woman who dressed in the wrong clothes, has the wrong hair, whose makeup is wrong (the lips aren’t bright enough, her eyebrows are plucked incorrectly, her eyeshadow and mascara are done in a modern style, her rouge is almost invisible - come on, he was in a stage show, he knows what makeup looks like), whose posture is wrong, who clearly isn’t wearing a girdle -
Everything about her is screaming WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG. No wonder he isn’t willing to wait.